Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad

Undated map of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad

History

In its early years. much of the growth of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad in New York, also known simply as "The Lackawanna", was focused in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.  The first of the Lackawanna's predecessor railroads in New York was the the Cayuga and Susquehanna Railroad which was built between Owego and Ithaca in 1834.

In 1869 the Lackawanna bought the Syracuse, Binghamton and New York Railroad and leased the Oswego and Syracuse Railroad. The following year the Lackawanna leased the Utica, Chenango and Susquehanna Valley and the Greene Railroad. This gave the Lackawanna access to Lake Ontario at Oswego as well as cities of Syracuse, Utica, and Binghamton.

In 1880 the New York, Lackawanna and Western Railroad was incorporated to build a line from Binghamton to Buffalo.  The line was completed and the company was leased to the DL&W in 1882.

1905 postcard of the "Lackawanna Limited" train.

Lines and Stations

Annual Reports

Newspaper Articles

References